Design and Technology focuses on designing and creating products. It involves:
- Clarifying a particular need,
- Investigating and gathering information
- Developing imaginative and perhaps inspirational design ideas
- Producing models and / or products
- Evaluating and modifying the use of the product by people in 'real-life' situations.
Such activities enable pupils to develop their understanding of the impact of technological products and processes and is an essential part of preparation for adult life in a highly technological society. Unique to Design and Technology is the opportunity for pupils to see, in 3-dimensions, the consequences of their decision making. Making something builds self-esteem and develops self-confidence. This is particularly noticeable when pupils make something they have designed and is of greater significance when making something for another person - it develops a true sense of pride in their achievements.